The Office of Council Services is recruiting for a full-time
Personnel Specialist. The closing date is November 30, 2021.
Who We Are
The Office of Council Services provides administrative services to the Council Chair, the Councilmembers’ individual offices, and the Council’s district offices.
In the County’s legislative process, the role of our office is to staff the County Council’s committees and subcommittees, and provide objective assistance to individual Councilmembers.
The Personnel Specialist is appointed by the Council for the 2021-2023 Council term by resolution and does not have permanent or civil service status. The term
began at noon on January 2, 2021, and expires at noon on January 2, 2023. The Personnel Specialist may be reappointed by future Councils to additional terms.
- Independently performs a variety of services in support of the departmental personnel program.
- Advises on personnel rules, policies, and procedures.
- Provides a variety of administrative services essential to the operation of the department.
- Participates in departmental personnel services involving recruitment, selection, transfer, retirement, and related activities.
- Primarily responsible for the onboarding and offboarding of employees, and the administration and maintenance of all health insurance for employees.
- Processes and reviews personnel transactions.
- Responsible for the reconciliation of all employees’ bi-monthly timesheets, compensation, overtime, and leave balances.
- Maintains departmental personnel and position records and files.
- Completes forms for requesting personnel actions and processing transactions.
- Performs varied administrative functions.
- Performs other related duties as may be assigned, including light lifting and use of electronic equipment.
Minimum Qualification Requirements:
- Graduation from an accredited college or university with a bachelor’s or graduate degree (official transcripts may be requested).
- Three years of administrative experience in HR, personnel, and/or payroll. Experience with HR/payroll software applications such as Workday is preferred but not required.
- Various types of personnel transactions and record keeping; office practice and procedures; use of standard office machines.
- Strong organization and multi-tasking skills; ability to work with limited supervision on multiple competing assignments.
- Possession of a valid motor vehicle operator’s license.
- Qualification on a written test administered by the Office of Council Services.
Health and Physical Condition:
- Persons seeking appointment to positions in this class must meet the health and physical condition standards deemed necessary and proper for performance of the duties.
- Physical Effort Grouping: Light.
$44,260 to $83,015 annually, as established by Section 2.08.060, Maui County Code, depending on education and experience. The Council may assign staff to any step in the appropriate pay range.
HOW TO APPLY
- Download the application form here.
- Submit your completed application, resumé, and cover letter by email only to email@example.com.
- Please complete all sections of the application in addition to submitting your resumé.
- In your cover letter, briefly describe how your education and experience relate to the position description and the skills you possess that will make you successful in the Personnel Specialist position.
- Emailed application, resumé, and cover letter must be received by 4:30 p.m. on November 30, 2021, to be considered.
If you have questions or need more information on this position, please contact the Office of Council Services at firstname.lastname@example.org, or Marlene Rebugio, Support Supervisor, at (808) 270-7838.
Nondiscrimination policy: The Office of Council Services and the Maui County Council do not discriminate on the basis of race, sex, sexual orientation, age, religion, color, ancestry, national origin, disability, marital status, pregnancy, arrest and court record, assignment of child support, National Guard participation, or any other basis covered by State or Federal laws governing nondiscrimination.