Housing and Land Use Committee (HLU)
Meeting agendas and documents
- Tasha Kama, Chair
- Tom Cook, Vice-Chair
- Gabe Johnson, Voting Member
- Alice L. Lee, Voting Member
- Tamara Paltin, Voting Member
- Keani N.W. Rawlins-Fernandez, Voting Member
- Shane M. Sinenci, Voting Member
- Yuki Lei K. Sugimura, Voting Member
- Nohelani U‘u-Hodgins, Voting Member
- Amendments of State land use district boundaries, the General Plan, community plans, and zoning ordinances.
- Other land use entitlements requiring Council review and approval, such as Conditional Permits, and all overlay districts.
- Land use ordinances.
- Processing procedures for the General Plan.
- Implementation of the digital mapping project.
- Affordable or residential workforce housing programs, including expedited approvals of housing projects under Chapter 201H, Hawaii Revised Statutes, and related State land use district boundary amendments; and under Chapter 2.97, Maui County Code.
- Amendments to the Residential Workforce Housing Policy and other affordable housing ordinances.
- Proposals for increasing the availability of affordability of housing.
- Appointments to the Housing Advisory Board.
- Sea-level rise, shoreline erosion, managed retreat, deforestation, drought, wetlands, carbon emissions, pollution, and other related contributors to climate change.
- Oversight of the Department of Planning; the Housing Division of the Department of Housing and Human Concerns through June 30, 2024; and, effectively July 1, 2023, the Department of Housing.
- Implementation of the following General Plan objectives:
- Expand Housing Opportunities for Residents.
- Promote Sustainable Land Use and Growth Management.
Ph: (808) 270-7838
Fax: (808) 270-7686