The Office of Council Services is recruiting for a full-time
Hawaiian Language Communications Specialist.
The closing date is June 24, 2022.
Who We Are:
The Office of Council Services provides administrative services to the Council Chair, the Councilmembers’ individual offices, and the Council’s district offices.
In the County’s legislative process, the role of our office is to staff the County Council’s committees and subcommittees, and provide objective assistance to individual Councilmembers.
The Hawaiian Language Communications Specialist is appointed by the Council for the 2021-2023 Council term by resolution and does not have permanent or civil service status. The term began at noon on January 2, 2021, and expires at noon on January 2, 2023. The Hawaiian Language Communications Specialist may be reappointed by future Councils to additional terms.
Education and Experience:
- Proficient in all areas of Hawaiian language: reading, writing, and speaking.
- Ability to accurately and efficiently translate between English and Hawaiian languages.
Previous Knowledge and Experience Preferred:
- Professional Hawaiian language translation.
- Proficiency in Hawaiian values-based literary and speaking preferences.
- Communications skills, including writing and speaking on behalf of an organization.
- Computer software management, including Granicus and OpenGov.
- Proven social media and networking expertise.
- Knowledge of journalism and public relations.
- Work for a legislative body.
Possession of a valid motor vehicle operator’s license.
Summary of Duties:
(Duties listed below apply for both in English and Hawaiian language.)
- Manage and publish content using real-time reporting and dashboard features of budget software (OpenGov).
- Manage internal and external communications.
- Develop and implement communications strategies, including through the Council’s Communications Plan, to provide accurate and timely information to the public.
- Draft and issue newspaper columns and press releases.
- Manage social media accounts.
- Serve as webmaster.
- Coordinate press conferences.
- Produce video, photo, and visual presentations and other digital-media content.
- Create and issue public-education materials and conduct presentations and outreach.
- Assist with special events.
- Serve as contact person for media inquiries.
- Serve as contact person for video production, broadcast, and distribution services (Akakū).
- Serve as contact person for open meeting software (Granicus) and community information portion of budget software (OpenGov).
- Work in coordination with others to carry out the functions of the Office of Council Services, which include assisting the County Council committees and the Councilmembers, individually and collectively.
- Perform other related duties as may be assigned, including light lifting and use of electronic equipment.
- Ensure Councilmembers and staff are kept apprised of latest local and national news and trends relevant to their legislative work.
$44,260 – $83,015 annually, as established by Section 2.08.060, Maui County Code, depending on education and experience. The Council may assign staff to any step in the appropriate pay range.
All persons seeking employment with the Office of Council Services shall be citizens, nationals, or permanent resident aliens of the United States or eligible under Federal law for unrestricted employment in the United States at the time of their application for employment and shall become residents of the State within 30 days after beginning their employment and as a condition of eligibility for continued employment. Applicants must provide evidence verifying citizenship or alien registration status and employment authorization in the United States at the time of application.
HOW TO APPLY
- Download the application form here.
- Submit your completed application by email to email@example.com.
- Please complete all sections of the application.
- Emailed application must be received by 4:30 p.m. on June 24, 2022, to be considered.
If you have questions or need more information on this position, please contact the Office of Council Services at firstname.lastname@example.org, or at (808) 270-7838.
The Office of Council Services and the Maui County Council do not discriminate on the basis of race, sex, sexual orientation, age, religion, color, ancestry, national origin, disability, marital status, pregnancy, arrest and court record, assignment of child support, National Guard participation or any other basis covered by State or Federal laws governing nondiscrimination.