CLOSING DATE: March 31, 2023 at 4:30 p.m.
WE’RE HIRING: LEGISLATIVE ATTORNEY
The Office of Council Services is recruiting for a full-time Legislative Attorney.
Who We Are:
The Office of Council Services provides administrative services to the Council Chair, Council Members, and the Council’s District Offices.
Legislative Attorneys are appointed by the Council for the 2023-2025 Council term, and do not have permanent or civil service status. The term begins at noon on January 2, 2023, and expires at noon on January 2, 2025. Legislative Attorneys may be reappointed by future Councils to additional terms.
Examples of Duties:
A Legislative Attorney typically:
- Carries out the functions of the Office of Council Services, including assisting the County Council, its committees, and the Councilmembers in their legislative responsibilities.
- Reviews and analyzes laws, opinions, bills, resolutions, budget documents, contracts, and other documents to provide legal advice to the Council and Councilmembers.
- Drafts legislation and other documents necessary for the legislative process.
- Monitors developments in municipal law.
- Performs a variety of legal and policy research for the Office of Council Services.
- Staffs committee meetings.
- Is adept at the use of Microsoft Word and other relevant software.
- Is able to occasionally attend night meetings and off-island meetings and to travel by light aircraft or ferry.
- Is capable of moderate lifting, setting up facilities, operating automobiles, and using electronic and sound equipment.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Minimum Qualification Requirements:
- Hawai‘i State Bar license
- Strong research and writing skills
- Qualification on a test administered by the Office of Council Services
- Valid motor vehicle operator’s license
- Ability to lift equipment weighing 30 pounds
The salary range is $71,419 to $140,252 annually, as established by Section 2.08.060, Maui County Code, typically depending on the number of full years that have elapsed since the attorney was admitted to the practice of law in any state or the District of Columbia, as of the beginning of the fiscal year.
How to Apply:
- Download the application form.
- Submit your completed application, resumé, and cover letter by email only to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Please complete all sections of the application in addition to submitting your resumé.
- In your cover letter, briefly describe how your education or experience relates to the position description and how the skills you possess will make you successful in the Legislative Attorney role.
If you have questions or need more information, contact Traci N. T. Fujita, Esq., Director, Office of Council Services, at email@example.com or (808) 270-7838.
Nondiscrimination Policy: The Office of Council Services and the Maui County Council do not discriminate on the basis of race, sex, sexual orientation, age, religion, color, ancestry, national origin, disability, marital status, pregnancy, arrest and court record, assignment of child support, National Guard participation, or any other basis covered by State or Federal laws governing nondiscrimination.
# # #