For immediate release: Oct. 15, 2013
Press Release by:
Councilmember Donald G. Couch, Jr.
Chair, Planning Committee
Planning Committee to hold district meetings to receive input on Home Business Bill
WAILUKU, Hawaii – The Planning Committee will hold six public meetings from Oct. 28 to Dec. 3 to receive input on the pending Home Business Bill, Councilmember Don Couch announced today.
Councilmember Couch, who chairs the committee, said the Council is considering legislation to permit and regulate home-based businesses in certain zoning districts. He said the committee will review and discuss allowable types of home businesses and develop appropriate regulations for particular operations.
“I want to encourage entrepreneurship and support residents who want to earn a living from home,” Councilmember Couch said. “However, we need to address what constitutes a ‘nuisance’ or other inappropriate commercial activities that potentially impact community character and quality of life for neighbors.”
The meetings are scheduled to begin at 6 p.m.
Meeting dates and locations are as follows:
- Monday, Oct. 28, Kihei Community Center, Main Hall, 303 East Lipoa Street, Kihei, Maui
- Wednesday, Oct. 30, Mayor Hannibal Tavares Community Center, Social Hall, 91 Pukalani St., Pukalani, Maui
- Tuesday, Nov. 5, Helene Social Hall, 150 Keawa Pl., Hana, Maui
- Thursday, Nov. 14, Council Chamber, 8th Floor, 200 S. High St., Wailuku, Maui
- Wednesday, Nov. 20, Mitchell Pauole Center, Main Hall, 90 Ainoa St., Kaunakakai, Molokai
- Tuesday, Dec. 3, Lahaina Civic Center, Social Hall, 1840 Honoapiilani Hwy., Lahaina, Maui
Residents from Lanai may contact the Lanai District office at (808) 565-7094 for assistance in submitting testimony.
The public is encouraged to attend. Meeting agendas and the bill are available on the Planning Committee website at www.mauicounty.gov/committees.pc.
For more information, please contact Councilmember Couch’s office at (808) 270-7108 or via e-mail at email@example.com.
# # #
PROPOSED BILL: http://www.mauicounty.gov/ArchiveCenter/ViewFile/Item/18410