Fiscal Year 2020 Budget deliberations
UPDATE (June 27, 2019):
- The Fiscal Year 2020 Operating Budget Ordinance has been certified and is effective July 1, 2019: Ordinance 4988.
- The Fiscal Year 2020 Capital Program Ordinance has been certified and is effective July 1, 2019: Ordinance 4987.
- The committee report on the Fiscal Year 2020 Budget is available: Economic Development and Budget Committee Report 19-49.
- The Budget Summary is also available: Public Notice FY 2020
The Budget Ordinance is the county’s financial plan for the next fiscal year, which begins July 1, 2019. It determines how much money each department receives to provide services such as fire and police protection, public transportation, and water and refuse collection. It also determines how much money is collected from the public through taxes and fees.
In addition, the budget sets forth the amount of grant money offered to community organizations and establishes funding levels for capital improvement projects, such as road paving, park improvements and water system upgrades.
The Mayor’s Fiscal Year 2020 Budget Proposal includes the executive and legislative operating budget for the ensuing fiscal year and capital program. The proposal may be viewed on the County website at https://www.mauicounty.gov/DocumentCenter/Index/4774.
The Economic Development and Budget Committee will hold evening meetings throughout Maui County in April to receive community input on the Fiscal Year 2020 budget. You have the opportunity to provide oral or written testimony at the following meetings:
- April 1, Lanai Community Center, Social Hall, 8th Street and Lanai Avenue, Lanai City
- April 4, Mayor Hannibal Tavares Community Center, Social Hall, 91 Pukalani St.
- April 5, Hana Community Center, Main Hall, 5091 Uakea Rd., Hana
- April 9, Kihei Community Center, Main Hall, 303 East Lipoa St., Kihei
- April 10, Lahaina Civic Center, Social Hall, 1840 Honoapiilani Hwy., Lahaina
- April 11, Paia Community Center, Social Hall, 252 Hana Hwy., Paia
- April 15, Mitchell Pauole Center, Main Hall, 90 Ainoa St., Kaunakakai, Molokai
- April 17, Council public hearing, Council Chamber, 200 S. High St., Wailuku
All meetings begin at 6 p.m.
You can also send written testimony to firstname.lastname@example.org, referencing EDB-1.
Budget Discussion Schedule by Department (subject to change)
To view information requests made by the County Council to the Departments, please refer to the Budget Session Agency Question Log.
- April 1 – Budget overview, revenues, countywide costs, Department of Finance
- April 12 – Capital Improvement Projects: Department of Environmental Management, Department of Finance, Department of Fire and Public Safety, Department of Management, Department of Parks and Recreation
- April 15 – Capital Improvement Projects: Department of Police, Department of Public Works, Department of Transportation, Department of Water Supply
- April 16 – Operating: Department of Parks and Recreation, Department of Water Supply, Department of Management, Department of Personnel Services, Office of the Mayor (excluding Office of Economic Development)
- April 17 – Operating: Department of Environmental Management, Department of Housing and Human Concerns, Department of the Prosecuting Attorney, Office of Economic Development
- April 18 – Operating: Department of Fire and Public Safety, Department of Police, Department of Planning, Department of Public Works
- April 22 – Operating: Department of Transportation, Office of the County Auditor, Office of Council Services, Office of the County Clerk, Department of Liquor Control, Department of the Corporation Counsel, Maui Emergency Management Agency
Testimony will be accepted at any of the posted meetings in the Council Chambers throughout the deliberations and decision-making process. Each meeting agenda will be available at MauiCounty.us/agendas and testimony will also be accepted via email at email@example.com.
Each testifier will be allowed to speak for three minutes per meeting. If a testifier wishes to submit written testimony, 18 copies are requested. For tips, visit How To Testify.
For special accommodations during any of the meetings, please call 270-7838 at least three days in advance.
Remote Testimony Sites:
Hana Council District Office, Hana Community Center, 5091 Uakea Road, Hana
Lanai Council District Office, Lanai Community Center, 8th Street, Lanai City
Molokai Council District Office, 100 Ainoa Street, Kaunakakai
Office of Council Services
200 South High Street
Wailuku, Hawaii 96793
(808) 270-7838 (phone)
(800) 272-0098 (toll-free from Lanai)
(800) 272-0026 (toll-free from Molokai)
(808) 270-7686 (fax)
Leslee Matthews, Shelly Espeleta, Christy Chung, Carla Nakata, and Yvette Bouthillier